On June 4, 1897 the Payneham Boys Club held its first class for boys 12 years old and over. Classes were held in the “Cooee Hall” in Henry Street, bought in 1904 by the Club for 150 pounds. In 1905 ladies classes were added to the programme and the Club was renamed the Cooee Club. A continuous growth in programmes followed, halted only by a fire in 1915 which destroyed the roof and the two World Wars when the premises were used for other purposes.
The Centre has at various times had Boys and Girls Gymnastics, Boxing, Judo, Self-defence, Marching Girls, Tennis, Cricket and Volleyball. During the 1960’s the need for larger premises became apparent. Plans were drawn and negotiations with the City of Payneham were implemented. It took until September 1978 when a joint venture with the Payneham Youth Centre, the City of Payneham and the Education Department of SA meant the Club was able to move into its current premises.
The Payneham Youth Centre is run solely by volunteers who obtain a lot of enjoyment working with the Youth through the various activities the Club now offers.