The language group known as the Padnaindi group ( part of the larger Kaurna group) of aborigines lived and roamed a wide area of the plains.
David Hughes discovered the Blyth Plains in 1842, at which time the land was known as Jacob’s Plains after Hughes’ employer, John Jacob.
The district was named in 1860 after Sir Arthur Blyth, who was one of the earliest statesmen in South Australia and was Premier on 3 occasions.
The Blyth Plains were initially part of a huge pastoral run before the Blyth Township was laid out on Section 198 in 1875 with the railway line bisecting the town.
On the Blyth Plains, apart from the small area of open plain, there was “scrub to the west as far as the eye could see.” The scrubland was cleared of growth with axes and sheer determination, chopping down the larger trees and flattening the small ones by using chains strung between two horses.
Blyth was for many years a railhead and at its peak boasted a flourmill, butter factory, hospital, agricultural and machinery firms.
In the 2000s the town continues to have a thriving business community but far different to those of the early days. Sport is a focal point and the community strives to maintain the excellent facilities.
Further information about the history of Blyth can be found in the book “Blyth A Silo of Stories 1860-1990” complied by Winifred N Johnson and available from Medika Gallery, Blyth.